Monday, June 28, 2010

Smashed


Last weekend Puff and I attended the birthday party of a girl who lives on the posh side of the river. She has a beautiful home full of Alessi this and Philip Starke that overlooking the lake. Knowing I was new to Swiss culture and cuisine she very sweetly prepared Raclette, a tradional form of cooking that is similar to fondue. It was delicious! I LOVE cheese. In fact, I think I could live on it. We each got our own little flat, wooden spoon with a slab of cheese, cooked it under a grill on the table and then mixed it with all kinds of good things like pineapple, gherkin and bacon. Yum. We drank South African vino with the meal but I fear we overindulged slightly because after dinner Puff and I fell asleep on birthday girl's bed. Not very good manners, oops. The party clearly continued without us because when we woke up most of the guests had departed, besides the hardcore ones. We had another drink because, well, it would be rude not to and joined the revellers. One girl (who I really like so don't take offence) was quite well refreshed and living it up until she went in search of a toilet and we heard a crash from inside. We went to investigate and it turned out she had broken a very expensive-looking vase which happened to belong to the mother of said house who was away. Birthday girl was furious so we called a taxi and left quickly. It was obvious to me that we should get intoxicated girl home but the others wanted to stop off at a club. I suspected this was not a good idea but didn't want to sound like a mom so I kept quiet. When we arrived everyone disappeared and I was left to look after said girl who couldn't really walk or talk but kept trying to (unsuccessfully)dial a number on her phone. It was not fun so I found her a place to sit and went to find a taxi and Puff. It took some time but we finally rounded everyone up and were on our way home when girl woke up from her position next to the window and was sick. Taxi man exploded. It was a very nice car (a black Merc) so I could understand his anger but it's not like she did it on purpose. Gawd. We eventually reached the safety of Puff's apartment building and driver man wanted to wash his car. Fair enough. But after watching him wash it like 10 times over and charge us extra I had enough, gave Puff my purse and headed for bed before I did something I would regret. I learnt from this experience though...
1. Getting that drunk is not really fun (note to self).
2. Don't get sick in a taxi in Switzerland. It is expensive.
3. It's not a good party unless something gets broken (preferably a cheap glass)
Cheers y'all!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment