Friday, June 18, 2010

Post defeat day


I woke up yesterday feeling, as I'm sure the whole of SA was, pretty fragile - physically and emotionally. CNN did little to lift my spirits as they interviwed correspondents over there who confirmed that the entire nation was bleak and even more depressing was seeing Mandela attending his great granddaughter's funeral. Hasn't the poor man been through enough in his life?!
After moping around the apartment most of the day we decided to venture out despite the inclement weather i.e. COLD! Summer my foot. We decided to explore the rich side of the river and took a tram to get there. Sitting infront of us was a little Italian girl and her au pair. For some reason this child was very upset and crying and with my weak grasp of Italian I deduced she was tired and just wanted to go home to her parents. Nanny was a super bitch and basically told her to shut it. I was shocked! A simple hug wouldn't have gone amiss but this chick was having none of it. Gawd. We got off and walked along the promenade. Quite different from Sea Point Promenade...told Puff the story about the old jewish lady who called the SAPS complaining she could see males doing unspeakable things inside the walls of the Sea Point pool. When they arrived at her flat they couldn't see anything and asked her to show them. At that point the old bat perched a chair on top of a table on top of another and pointed to the offending persons. The cops rightfully told her to sod off.
Shortly after the story-telling we came across a cove full of swans! I've never seen so many. And they had little babies and were attacking the ducks that came too near. Too cute. We took a stroll further and I noticed a really cool, multi-coloured glass building and asked Puff what it was. "Public toilets." No way! They were AMAZING! The kind you find in a fancy restaurant (I always judge a venue according to their ablutions and whether or not they have 2-ply). I was in public toilet heaven! From toilet inspecting we walked through a rose garden, looked at sculpures, saw Zurich's best plastic surgeon's offices, saw more amazing public toilets...while taking a photo of a fresco of a Greek rape scene I realized I had left my Nightmare before Xmas DVD in Cape Town and had a small sulk - annoying! Twin Set & Pearls has since promised to take care of it so all is good. By now we were tired and my head was pounding from all the cheap white wine consumed during the footie so we took a ferry down the river instead of walking back and it was really fun. In spite of boat driver's incredibly dodgy taste in music. I was loving Elton but he preferred super cheesy Carabian tunes and changed the station. Puff begged me not to say anything. Hmpf. On our way home we stopped at Migros, which is kind of like Spar in SA, and got some meat. And so Puff and I ended the gloomy day with a braai on the balcony in the rain with vino and each other. Not so gloomy after all.
"Always look on the bright side of life..." Who sang that anyway? Going to find out...
x

2 comments: