Sunday, June 13, 2010

Heidi-land!


So Puff and I finally made it to Switzerland! After some tears and tantrums at CT International ("ja, 37kg of pink luggage, what's wrong with that?!"), a very emotional bon voyage to la famiglia and a loooong Emirates (highly recommended)flight we touched down in Zurich.I cannot sleep anywhere other than a bed so I was rather emo by the time we reached our new home and went to bed. The next morning we ventured out and wow wee it is beautiful! Plus it's safe, clean and peaceful - pure bliss. We are staying IN a forest so we took a stroll and it feels like we were on the pages of a picture book. I think our new nicknames should be Hansel and Gretel! We walked to the nearby farms and saw llamas, fed baby cows, ate fresh strawberries, saw baby possum's great, great grandfather Citroen, almost got eaten by an evil farmer's dog...OMW, all the dogs and cats here are obese! The cat we encountered along the way made Fat Cat look miniature.
The rest of the day was spent unpacking so by dinner time we were exhausted and got McDonalds - R210 for 2 meals!!! Complete waste of money in my opinion but Puff was happy. Watched the kick-off concert on MTV and suddenly starting feeling very patriotic and think Shakira and K'naan were awesome.
Friday we decorated our vuvuzelas we bought all the way with us, donned green and gold and made our way to the public viewing area which was inside a castle courtyard. Beautiful but Switzerland has a law that all big screens outside can only be 1m x 30cm. Basically it was like watching green and yellow ants running around and I couldn't even see the ball so we watched the second half at home and made it back just in time to see Tshabala's goal. Eventhough we tied I am so proud of our boys, what beauties! We LOVE you!
Yesterday Puff took me to central Zurich. The underground trains are double storey, fast and so clean. I was feeling a tad fragile as we had celebrated with a lot of bubbly but I sucked it up and let Puff take me on a 4 hour tour of his city. We took a cable/train thingy up to to the University Campus, visited a museum full of stuffed animals I've never seen before, popped into the central library and window shopped. Then Puff anounced he was taking me to the best place to see the whole of Zurich. I agreed and we entered Gross Munster, a huge cathedral with the most amazing and unique stained glass windows by Sigmar Polker. I was quite happy just admiring them when Puff took my hand and led me to a small, actually make that ridiculously narrow staircase. We started making our way up when it became quite apparent that it was only possible for one person to go either up or down and some noisy Americans were doing the latter. Full on claustrophobia hit me and I shrieked and ran back down the stairs. At the bottom tourists looked up in shock and suddenly I felt ridiculous. So we eventually made it to the top and despite a hair raising moment it was worth it. The houses all look like they are made out of ginger bread, swans floated on the Limmat River and Puff pointed out where Tina Turner lives. We made it down and I informed the nerdy looking guy who was selling brochures on the church that they really should have a sign informing people of how narrow the stairwell is. He calmly replied that I am the first person who has ever reacted like that and most people make it up fine. Oh gawd. Bless Puff's heart for putting up with my drama queen ways. To calm down and cool down we had a dip in the river, well Puff swam as the current is very strong and I just splashed and tanned on a bridge. I think I will be very happy here in Heidi-land...high on a hill with a lonely goat, la la la. x

No comments:

Post a Comment