Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The great outdoors jou ma se...


This past weekend I was persuaded, against my better judgement, to go camping. Looking back I cannot believe I agreed to it but I remember the conversation going like this...

Puff: "It will be fun. All my other girlfriends loved it (!)"
Me: Angry silence and a dirty look.

However as I have few friends here I thought I could at least network whilst there. So Saturday morning dawned but as I had tossed and turned all night worrying about the trip I was grouchy and so not in the mood for conversing with anyone. After much debate it was decided I would ride with the boys and so I endured some reckless endangerment and 2 hours of Eminem (such an angry person!) which did nothing to improve my mood. When we reached our destination all I wanted to do was sleep which upset Puff who wanted to show me a lake but I was having none of it, took a bottle of red wine and zipped myself inside our tent. Some hours later I woke disorientated to a baby wailing and a domestic dispute coming from a nearby caravan. We were IN a trailor park. The old people next to us even had garden gnomes and plastic fruit hanging up in a basket. Basically I was in my own personal HELL. So I took a sleeping pill and went back to the safety of my sleeping bag. Sunday I had a pounding headache and had to help pack up tents, clean plastic plates and cups and generally do things that I really didn't feel like especially braving the ablution block and hearing old grannies doing number 2's. OMG. I literally ran out and went behind a bush instead. The highlight of the morning was playing badminton against Puff...because I won. I think he let me because I looked so miserable. On the way home we stopped at a lake for a few hours where people were tanning and swimming. I tried really hard to pretend I was at Kelvin Grove and I did swim for a little bit. Because it's glacial water it is icy but the most AMAZING torquoise colour. Very pretty. Finally everyone agreed it was time to go home. I almost jumped for joy. Until we started driving home. The car we were in didn't have aircon so I opened my window as it was VERY hot. Unfortunately for me the driver requested we close all the windows everytime we went through a tunnel (because of the traffic fumes)and there were a lot of them. I really thought I was going to boil to death. When we got to the driveway of our apartment block I jumped out and kissed the ground. I feel very bad as Puff's friends are really sweet and lovely but I am just not made for that sort of thing and now at least Puff believes me. And I got a tan. But I honestly found the whole experience so traumatic that I'm struggling to write this post.
The next morning I updated my facebook status asking everyone I am "friends" with exactly what part of camping is fun? One guy I know commented, "the part when you realise how good you have it." Truer words were never spoken!
I love you boyfriend but next time you're on your own.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment